Tag Archives: KingÔÇÖs (Liverpool) Regiment

Douglas Morley Griffin

The Elizabethan records that Douglas Morley Griffin was ‘the only son of the late William Hall Griffin, the biographer of Browning, was admitted a King’s Scholar in 1903, and left on his father’s death in 1907. He was a boy of character, and faced misfortune with the courage which he afterwards showed in war.’

Griffin had proved a successful athlete whilst at Westminster, representing the school in gymnastics, although his performance on the parallel bars was once described as ‘disappointing’. He was also in the Officer Training Corps and took part in shooting competitions, exceeding the school’s ‘highest hopes’ with an excellent performance at a training camp at Bisley in 1907 leading to promotion to the rank of Lance-Corporal. Upon his father’s death it clearly became impossible for his mother to pay the fees necessary for him to continue in his education. In order to support his family he joined an architect’s office, Harris and Hobson, in Liverpool, his mother’s home town. He attended Liverpool University School of Architecture and became a member of the Royal Institute of British Architects in 1910. He was elected Associate of the Royal Institute of British Architects in 1914.

On the outbreak of war Griffin enlisted, becoming a Lieutenant in the King’s Liverpool Regiment in November of 1914 and going out to the Western Front in 1915. His sister also joined the war effort and worked as a nurse in Rosslyn Lodge in Hampstead from 1916 and we know that Griffin gave her a photograph album to record her experiences.

We know little about Griffin’s death. His battalion were involved in the Battle of Albert, an offensive which formed part of the Battle of the Somme and ran from 1st-13th July. The French Sixth Army and the right wing of the British Fourth Army inflicted a considerable defeat on the German Second Army but from the Albert—Bapaume road to Gommecourt, the British attack was a disaster where most of the c.ÔÇë60,000 British casualties were incurred.

Posted in The Fallen | Tagged , , , , , , | 2 Comments

Wilfred Hermann Myers

Wilfred was the second of his family to attend Westminster; his elder brother Gilbert had already been at the school for two years when Wilfred was admitted up Rigaud’s as a non-resident Queen’s Scholar in January 1897. When Gilbert left the school in 1899 Wilfred became a boarder.


At the age of 16, Wilfred sat and passed the entry exams to R.M.A. Woolwich. He left the school in 1900 and had worked his way up to Lieutenant by November 1904. He retired from the army in 1907 to become a journalist and worked on the staff of The Standard and The Globe newspapers.

Following the outbreak of war, Wilfred rejoined the army as a Lieutenant in the 12th Service Battalion, King’s (Liverpool) Regiment on 1st October 1914 and was promoted to Captain at the end of December. His battalion was attached to 20th (Light) Division, which was somewhat chaotic at this early stage, and lacking in trained officers and equipment. The Division assembled in Aldershot, and were moved to Surrey before ending up on Salisbury Plain in April 1915.

They were ready to be inspected by King George V at Knighton Down and finally landed at Boulogne on 27th July. They spent some time around Fleurbaix, where they had training and their initial familiarisation with the trenches.

He was invalided home in February 1916 on account of wounds received while on active service and sent to Millbank Military Hospital, which is near the site of the Tate Britain. He died there from the effects of his wounds on 10th April 1916 at the age of 31.

Posted in The Fallen | Tagged , , , , , | 2 Comments